Thursday, June 9, 2011

Down Time & a Documentary

Having down time always makes me think.

I've given my running shoes a 2-day break. Yesterday was actually the only day I was supposed to rest my legs, but the weather got really bad this afternoon... so I didn't have much of a choice.

While I relaxed on my day off yesterday (from work and running), I spent time online looking up different things on running. At one point, I found a documentary called "Runner's High." I have to say, it really was a great documentary. It followed a group of high school students in Oakland California from start to finish for 4 months of training for the Las Angeles Marathon.

To say the least, it challenged me. Several trainers invested their time & resources on these students to get them ready in 4 months to run the marathon. It got me thinking...surely, if they can train to run 26.2 miles in 4 months, I know I can tackle 13.1 miles in 6 months. It gave me hope and a little bit of encouragement that I can accomplish what I've set out to do.

I had a friend comment on one of my statuses on Facebook yesterday and told me that what I'm doing is inspiring her. I know it's not much, but it really encouraged me. I've got friends who are natural encouragers. I wish I were more like them. I just feel like a better person when I'm around them. That's the way true friends should make you feel.

As much encouragement as I'm getting from others about training for the St. Jude Memphis half Marathon, I want to invest that kind of encouragement in others as they push through life. It's not that I don't notice, but sometimes, I just don't say anything. I suppose that's probably just as good as not noticing, though. I want to be the kind of person that people have a conversation with and walk away genuinely feeling encouraged and hopeful about what ever they're going through because someone believes in them and believes they can overcome what they are facing.

No comments:

Post a Comment