Monday, August 22, 2011

Freedom

I haven't blogged in a while. I've got issues with commitment.

But in the last few months of running, I've found something: freedom.

It's become the only thing I do for me. I enjoy it. I'm not a runner, though. Not by nature. My body isn't built for it. It's not something I ever was. But I run.
Life's full of responsibilities. Family. Job. Church. Friends. Full of commitments. These things are not bad things. In fact, I get great joy from most of them. And I find so much meaning in them. However, when you do life with others, you can't be selfish.
And it's true. I run with purpose. I'm running to raise money for St. Jude's Hospital in December. I'll be running in Memphis to make a difference in someone else's life.
But day in, day out...when I roll out of bed, I run for me.

Running, when I get up at 530 in the morning is not for anybody else. Nobody is making me get up. Nobody is outside holding my hand. Pushing me forward. No one will be disappointed if I start walking. I run at my pace. No one will be proud of me if I go farther or run faster.

Freedom.

Freedom, I suppose, is more than doing what you want. But, maybe, it's doing what you want when there is no praise or criticism associated with it. No one praises me when I'm up before the sun and run 4 miles. No one criticizes me when I sleep til 7 and get ready for work without an early morning run.

Freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment